Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tuesday with Dave and POTUS

Today was a TV day that began with a tour of NBC studios. It was OK.  No pictures can be taken on the tour. (boo-hoo) I captured a few of the grand buildings at Rockefeller Center.
Outside in Rockefeller Plaza
 
Interior of the GE building which is home to NBC Studios
 
We saw the studios where Brian Williams broadcasts from and 8H where Saturday Night Live is done.
Near the end of the tour they, of course took the obligatory tourist photo which they want to sell you. But then we entered a studio where they asked for volunteers to try out being the anchor and the weather person. One person spoke up and I gave a moment for someone to jump in, but when no one did I raised my hand. The other woman and I were given a choice of roles and I jumped at the anchor job since I know I can read out loud after years of reading to kids.  Also I could sit down!
 
When we were finished we found out they had actually taped us and we could get the DVD to take home (for a price). We jumped and I didn't look at it until today.  The lighting and sound for my part is not very good BUT I think I did a great job of impersonating a news anchor. I was hoping to add it to the blog but I have no idea how to get it transferred to the blog or even youtube. 
 
THEN
 
 
After a lunch we headed off to the Late Show with David Letterman. I put our names in for tickets back in August and we got a call that we were in!  Then a day later they called back that they needed us to be at the theatre between 1:30 and 2:30 ( an hour earlier than previously told). I had already found out on Thursday that the guest for our night was to be The President   of the United States! So much better than some ditzy actress promoting a film, no matter what your politics are.

This picture is grabbed from GoogleEarth street view. Not actually us.

 
When we arrived at 1:15 there was already a huge line snaking around the corner.  Security was tight and police where everywhere.  There were even two enormous construction vehicles parked in front of the theatre to block ANYTHING. As it was spitting rain we wondered how long we would be on the sidewalk, but the nice Letterman pages herded us into a bar around the corner!





Also a street view steal


We entered and were sent upstairs to a tabl e where we were handed our tickets with our group number on it (E).  And then...wait, visit the restroom, get a drink, chat with other folks, etc. When our group was called we went through security with a sniffing dog but we got to keep our shoes ON. Our seats were EXCELLENT. Only a few rows back and I, if not, Dan could see Dave AND Obama. The hour goes really fast when you don't have to watch commercials. The orchestra plays and you watch all the crew doing what they do.  The President, as usual, cannot give a short answer so when we rewatched the show later in the hotel we saw that the TOP TEN LIST had been cut out. I'll still vote for him!!
 
 

Lifted from Google Images

 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment